Marlene Hall (3 year term exp. in 2021)
Friday By Appointment Only
Other times available by appointment
(802) 442-4038 ext. 1
The Town Clerk plays a central role in the operation of local government, with duties that bring the Clerk into regular contact with the public. The Clerk’s statutory duties range from recording, preserving and certifying public documents to administering oaths of office, complying with public information requests, posting notices on the town’s bulletin board, running the local elections, certifying the grand list prepared by the listers, issuing marriage licenses and licensing animals. The town clerk has many unofficial duties as well which vary from town to town.
Below are some of the duties of the Town Clerk
- Issues marriage licenses
- Issues dog licenses
- Records all vital events occurring in the town of Shaftsbury
- Administration and presiding officer over all elections
- Registers new voters
- Administers the Freeman’s Oath
- Records deeds, mortgages, liens, surveys, maps and minutes of meetings
- Voter checklist maintenance
- Member of the Board of Abatement
- Takes minutes and prepares the Board of Abatement findings
- Administers and records oaths of office for newly elected officials
- Clerk for the Board of Civil Authority
- Issues Green Mountain Passports
- Records certified copies of military DD 214 discharge papers for military personnel
- Records final results of elections
- Posting of Lands
VOTER CHECKLIST INFORMATION
In order to be eligible to vote in the Town of Shaftsbury you must be on the Town Voter Checklist. The Town Clerk has blank voter checklist applications at the office and will be available during office hours to register new applicants. You may register to vote online at https://olvr.sec.state.vt.us/. Please stop in and make sure you are registered to vote. If you have any questions about voting, please call 442-4038.
Found a lost dog?
Search dog license numbers in order to find the owner’s contact number.
Town Clerk’s Documents
Online Request for Absentee Ballot
Feel free to download the file above and deliver it to the Town Clerks Office. Please call 802-442-4038 or contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.