Volunteer Opportunity - Join the Cemetery Committee
Posted: April 5, 2023
The Shaftsbury Cemetery Committee is looking for 2 new members to serve on the committee.
The Cemetery Committee is responsible for overseeing the Town's Cemeteries, and making sure they are always taken care of.
The Committee members are appointed in April of each year by the Select Board and they work with the Town Administrator, Cemetery Superintendent, and the Landscaping Contractor, to help make sure all town cemetery projects get done on schedule and
within the cemetery budget.
It is expected that the members of the Cemetery Committee will attend scheduled meetings on a regular basis, will participate in discussions and the work of the committee, and will abide by all policies and procedures set by the Town including the Conflict of Interest Policy.
The Cemetery Committee shall advise and assist the Select Board in the following ways:
- Annually assess the needs and condition of Town Cemeteries to ensure they are kept in good repair including stones, roads, fences, entrances, flagpoles, and flags
- Recommend repairs, renovations and improvements to Town Cemeteries
- Review and recommend policies, procedures and fees for the proper care, operation and documentation of Town Cemeteries
- Review Cemetery Maps, inventory available lots for sale, and determine the need for additional space
- Review and report the proceeds of sales and investments to the Select Board
- Recommend policies for the burial of indigent people
- Develop, review and recommend a job description for the Cemetery Superintendent
- Advertise, interview and recommend a Cemetery Superintendent candidate to the Select Board as needed
- Voting members of the Cemetery Committee shall not serve as Cemetery Superintendent
- Annually evaluate the performance of the Cemetery Superintendent and report the Committee's findings to the Select Board
- Advertise, interview and recommend candidates to fill Committee vacancies
- Annually develop and recommend a budget for the proper care, operation and improvement of Shaftsbury’s Cemeteries
- Annually prepare a report of cemetery operations including detailed financial statement, listing of committee work and needs of the cemetery for the Town Auditors to publish in the Town's Annual Report.
Candidates must submit a letter of Interest to:
, Town Administrator
PO Box 409
Shaftsbury, VT 05262
Learn more about the: Cemetery Committee
Posted/Author: Cole Hall